A regular detox is a perfect way to cleanse your body from unwanted toxins. One of the popular detox that most health conscious would do is through vegetable or fruit juicing. Common ones are by using kale, spinach, tomato and others.
But if you like your juice to be milder but still healthy, you should try out making cabbage juice. It’s simple and quick, just follow the recipe below:
Making Cabbage Juice
Prepare the Ingredients:
- ½ cabbage head (medium size)
- ½ cup of spinach
- 1 large apple, thinly chopped
- 1 tablespoon of ginger powder or chopped gingers
- Take a small size of cabbage head and wash thoroughly. Cut the cabbage in half while also taking out the hard part of the cabbage located at the center. Chop the cabbage thinly so it can be juiced up easily. Set aside for later.
- Take ½ cup of spinach and rinse thoroughly. You don’t need to chop the leaves into tiny pieces but you can shred it through your hand if you got bigger spinach. Adding the spinach will help the juice look more vibrant green and add more nutrients for a healthier drink. (If you prefer to not add spinach to your drink, you may opt to not include it.)
- Then, grab a large apple and rinse well. Dry it with paper towels before chopping. Take a knife and a chopping board, then chop the apples thinly. Ensure to take out the stem and seeds away since those are not edible. Set aside.
- Next is to prep and wash the ginger. Then, peel the ginger carefully and chop it into small pieces. If you have a ginger powder at home, you may use this as a substitute for actual ginger. The ginger provides a kick to the drink especially to clear out the throat and get rid of stomach problems.
- Set up your juicer and start juicing all the ingredients together. Using a juicer is more convenient and easier since it only extracts the juices from the vegetables and fruits.
- After juicing all the ingredients, you need to discard the bits and pieces of the vegetables.
- If you don’t have a juicer, you can still use a regular blender at home. You’ll just need to add water gradually so the mixture won’t turn out like a smoothie. Blend it at a low speed and do not over blend. Expect the difference of the texture compared to using a juicer. Its liquid consistency might be too thick. But still, it’s a good alternative to juice your cabbage.
This whole process only takes less than 5 minutes from prepping to juicing. The whole ingredients will yield at least 500ml of juice. Perfect to serve for two people.
- When picking vegetables and fruits to juice, always get the fresh and organic ones. Those are healthier and it tastes better.
- Feel free to add more ingredients to make the cabbage juice taste better. If you like it a little bit sweet, a little addition of honey will do.
David Nilsen is the former editor of Fourth & Sycamore. He is a member of the National Book Critics Circle. You can find more of his writing on his website at davidnilsenwriter.com and follow him on Twitter as @NilsenDavid.