Parsley is an herb native to the Mediterranean commonly used as a garnish. It is also a great source of vitamins A, C, and K, iron, potassium, and anti-oxidants. But did you know that parsley can be made into tea?
Parsley tea is easy to make, affordable, and healthy. So, while stuck at home, why not add parsley tea into your daily healthy routine by starting your day or ending it with?
Parsley tea can be made from fresh or dried parsley. Just follow the steps below and enjoy your fresh tea in no time.
How to make parsley tea using fresh parsley
- Fill a kettle with clean water and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
- Prepare fresh parsley and thoroughly wash with clean water to remove dirt on the leaves.
- Strip parsley from the stems and chop.
- Place the coarsely chopped parsley in a mug or teapot. Then, pour a cup of two of hot water over fresh parsley and leave it for about 5 minutes (you have the option to leave it longer if you prefer a stronger parsley tea).
- Strain to get rid of the chopped parsley.
- Once done, you can add honey as sweetener or lemon juice to make it more flavorful.
Another convenient way to do it is to put 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley on a mesh strainer. Place it in a mug, and then pour hot boiling water. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes and then remove the strainer. Add sweetener if you like or you can drink it without adding anything.
How to make parsley tea using dried parsley
A tea made of dried parsley is for those who prefer a stronger cup of tea.
- Put 1 tablespoon of dried parsley in a mug, teapot, or on a strainer.
- Pour hot boiling water and leave it for a maximum of 5 minutes or more if you want a bolder and stronger tasting parsley tea.
- Drain if dried parsley is added straight to the cup or remove the strainer.
- Either way, you can add a sweetener like sugar or honey or drink the tea as is.
Although parsley has proven health benefits, it is still recommended to drink parsley tea in moderation. It is always a good idea to talk to your doctor if you are taking medications.
Parsley tea is refreshing, cheap, and so easy to prepare. And with only a few ingredients you can conveniently find in your kitchen, it can be a wonderful addition to help in your goal of having a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
David Nilsen is the former editor of Fourth & Sycamore. He is a member of the National Book Critics Circle. You can find more of his writing on his website at davidnilsenwriter.com and follow him on Twitter as @NilsenDavid.