Sweet rice is a delicious meal that many people love eating all over. You can easily prepare sweet rice in under one hour, making it great to be served to guests. Prepared with easily available ingredients, sweet rice will become your best.
Rice is a staple food in many countries globally since it can be served as dinner or lunch, and you can top the rice with either pomegranate seeds or coriander leaves.
Sweet rice, also called Meethe Chawal, is an excellent dish that can be served on many occasions, making it great for your sudden pot luck plans with your friends.
- Basmati rice
- Teaspoon salt
- Cinnamon stick
- Turmeric for garnishing
- Dry rose petals
- Cashews Step
Step 1: Soak & Parboil The Rice
Start by preparing this recipe on a medium-sized bowl. Soak the rice for about 20 minutes in cold water. Then transfer the rice to a rice cooker then top up 2 cups of water. After that, turn on the rice cooker then allow the food to cook. Also, you can parboil the rice in a deep bottomed pan with water over medium flame and immediately water drains, move the rice on a large dish.
Step 2: Sauté Whole Spices in Ghee.
Place a large-sized pan on medium flame then top up some ghee on it. Immediately the gee gets hot, place a cinnamon stick, cardamoms, sugar, and turmeric powder in it. Switch the flame to low heat setting then fry the spices as well.
Step 3: Now Cook the Rice and Garnish
Check on the rice, and immediately it’s ready, add the rice on the same pan, then give it a good stir for about five minutes using the medium flame setting. The sweet rice is now ready to eat. Shift it to a different bowl, then use dry rose petals and cashew nuts to garnish it before serving it.
- Also, you can garnish the rice using almonds and slivered pistachios
- If you want the rice to retain its white color, be sure to use turmeric powder.
- You can use jiggery powder or brown sugar rather than sugar to prepare a healthier and sweeter version of sweet rice.
How to Make Sweet Rice Milk
Rice milk is a sweet alternative to dairy milk, and this easy recipe takes only five minutes to prepare and requires only staple pantry ingredients. Furthermore, if you wish to prepare traditional sweet rice taste, make sure you use white rice to prepare your milk. If you prefer an earthy flavor, ensure you mix water with brown rice to form the milk.
- 1 cup of uncooked white rice
- One pinch of salt
- 5 cups of water (you can use less water if you want creamier milk)
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup of fresh berries if you want “berry milk.”
- ¾ Tbsp. cacao powder or cocoa if you want “chocolate milk,” but this is optional
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) maple syrup)
- One whole date, pitted (optional) for sweetness.
- Start by soaking the white rice in cold water for some time and make sure the rice is soft while raw. With that, drain it then add it to a blender.
- Both a smoothie or a food processor works perfectly when preparing rice milk. Also, the more powerful the blender is, the smoother it will prepare the rice.
- After that, add salt, water, and any other essential add-ins. Then place a lid on top then use a towel to cover it to prevent any unnecessary splashes. Let it blend for about 1 minute until the mixture gets well, and the date specks are too small. When mixing, the mixture doesn’t have to be purely pulverized.
- Don’t use other kitchen appliances when using the blender since the high wattage needed might trigger the fuse to blow in the multi-box.
- Next, take out a little sample to feel its sweetness using a spoon. Be sure to add more dates if it’s not sweet.
- Then transfer the mixture on a pitcher or a large mixing bowl covered with a clean T-shirt or thin towel.
- Finally, store the rice milk on your fridge. Rice milk tastes great when cool. But you can enjoy it immediately it comes out of the blender. Stir the rice milk properly before drinking to ensure that the blended rice and water are properly combined.
How to Make Sweet Rice Pudding
- 600 ml whole milk
- 66 grams uncooked white rice
- One egg
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- 40 grams of raisins
- Boil The Rice in Milk
Using a heavy-bottomed saucepan, gather the rice, salt, and milk then allow them to boil over high heat. Simmer the mixture partially, then reduce the heat to low and boil the rice until its tender for about 25 minutes. Please stir regularly to prevent the rice from sticking on the pan.
Mix the brown sugar and egg then temper it with the rice mixture
Again using a small-sized mixing bowl, mix the brown sugar and egg until they combine properly. Then add the rice mixture and the egg mixture together, then whisk the two vigorously to incorporate.
- Again Add the Tempered Egg Mixture to The Rice Mixture
In the saucepan containing milk and rice, add the egg mixture, then stir properly on low heat for about 10 minutes to thicken the mixture. Please be careful to prevent the mixture from boiling at this point, or else it will curdle. Then remove the mixture from heat and stir in the cinnamon, raisins, and vanilla. Serve the sweet rice pudding while warm or cold.
How to Make Sweet Rice with Condensed Milk
- About 2 cups of water
- Lemon peel
- A pinch of salt
- Cinnamon stick
- 1 cup of rice
- 50 ml of milk
- 397 grams of condensed milk
- Cinnamon powder
- Start by pouring water inside the saucepan with a pinch of salt, lemon peel, and cinnamon stick. After that, place the saucepan on medium-heat then allow the mixture to boil. Immediately it starts boiling, add rice, then let it to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Next, in a bowl mix, the condensed milk with milk then place away.
- Once the rice is ready, remove the cinnamon stick and lemon peel. Add the condensed milk mixture, then mix thoroughly and cook using low heat for about 10 minutes as you stir occasionally.
- Finally, turn the heat off, pour the rice on large bowls, and cook. Sprinkle the cinnamon powder then serve while hot.
How to Make Sweet Rice Balls
- Coconut milk
- Vegetable oil
- Rice flour
- Shredded coconut
- Brown sugar
- Mix shredded coconut, rice flour, and ¾ cup of the coconut milk in a large bowl until the dough is properly mixed. After that, form the dough into small balls, around one tablespoon per ball.
- Then heat the vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat
- After that, fry the dough balls properly until they turn brown for 5 minutes. Then remove the pot from the heat then shift the balls to a plate lined with a towel.
- Transfer ½ cup coconut oil in a saucepan, then allow it to boil. Add brown sugar to the hot coconut milk until it gets thick for 3 minutes.
- Finally, remove the saucepan from heat then slightly cool the coconut coating as you dip the balls inside the coating. Cool then serve.
David Nilsen is the former editor of Fourth & Sycamore. He is a member of the National Book Critics Circle. You can find more of his writing on his website at davidnilsenwriter.com and follow him on Twitter as @NilsenDavid.