Ear wire earring findings range from very basic shepherd hook shapes to more modern forms such as v-wires or u-shaped hoops. These earring making components may also be known as french hooks. The name does not refer to the nation of origin. French hooks do not come from France; the name is sort of like french fries!
What are the best earring hooks?
Earwires. French or Shepherd Hooks – the most popular of all pierced earrings, hook earwires are inexpensive and easy to make by forming wire.
Can you buy earring hooks?
Earring Hooks, [200 PCS / 100 Pairs] White Gold Plated Hypo-allergenic Earring Wires Fish Hook for DIY Earrings.
What are cheap earring hooks made of?
An earwire is a bow of wire, looped to fasten an earring to a pierced ear. It is generally made of precious metal or hypoallergenic surgical steel.
What are most earring hooks made of?
Fine silver or “pure silver”, generally 99.9% pure, is OK for most people to wear. Sterling silver, 92.5% silver, is usually OK for most people to wear. However, although the remaining 7.5% of this metal is usually copper, it sometimes also includes nickel.
Is copper OK for sensitive ears?
Other safe metal options can include sterling silver, platinum, palladium, titanium, tungsten, and even ceramic or copper. Gold vermeil, our most popular Earring of the Month Club selection, is safe for sensitive ears as both the sterling silver base and the 14k gold finish are both hypoallergenic and nickel-free.
What findings do I need for earrings?
Guide to Jewelry Findings
Bails. Bails are simply used for attaching a focal bead or component to a chain to make a pendant.
Bead caps. Bead cap findings are very handy for helping to dress up your beads.
Chandeliers. Chandeliers often used as earring connectors.
Head and eye pins.
Links and connectors.
What are jewelry connectors?
Connectors: The best thing about connectors is that you have only one element, but it can be used in many ways and make different jewelry pieces. The same metal element can be used as a pendant, a center element in a bracelet, earrings or make an entire necklace.
David Nilsen is the former editor of Fourth & Sycamore. He is a member of the National Book Critics Circle. You can find more of his writing on his website at davidnilsenwriter.com and follow him on Twitter as @NilsenDavid.